Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Final thoughts....

So I am back at home now and have had some time to reflect on my experience in Kenya...

I feel very blessed and grateful for the opportunities I've had the past few months and the people that made that possible.

It definitely was a dream come true in that I got to do exactly what I have always wanted to, in a country I love, surrounded by wonderful people. I have grown and changed irreversibly.


This time around, I learned a lot more about global development, how organizations function and disfunction. And how I want to contribute in the future. I know what I don't want to work on or be apart of, as detailed in all my work here.

Its amazing that communication is my biggest lesson. I have never felt I communicated that well, but having a development organization that doesn't listen is horrifying to me. Accidental neo-colonialism. I want to work on communication and dissemination strategies for getting out information.

As you read, I am much more critical now about the effectiveness of "helping" people in the Global South. I hope my observations will stay with me so that whatever I do in the future, the focus is on grassroots level empowerment, because that is where my heart lies. All of my experiences were possible because I have been empowered by others to take risks and seek out opportunities, to create my life moment by moment, and now my goal is to find out what I can do to instill that confidence in others.

From my Kenyan friends who let me crash on mud floors, eats bread with ants crawling on it, and get over thinking I needed ANYTHING other than some love and good people in this world, I have learned the most. I do not fear death right now. I do not fear not eating for days on end. I do not fear dark and dangerous places. People holding guns up to my face for a bribe. Trusting strangers who don't speak my language and have no reason to be good to me at all (in fact they should hate me). I trust some things so much more now, while also trusting other (mostly the business of "doing good") less. I am less naive now.
I feel very powerful, nearly invincible right now, and I have exactly $0 in the bank. Had to live off my last $5 in Belgium coming home, by buying a giant jug of yogurt that I ate for my 14 hr layover. Ha! Its all part of the journey.

*Its not the amount of money in the bank you have, it is how powerful you feel when you have nothing at all.*

1 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you and your statements made about your experiences in Kenya. I have no doubt that this trip will impact your future in a positive way and will enlighten all those that come into contact with you. Keep opening those eyes of the ignorant, dear sister. You make me want to be a better person, which gives me hope for the younger generations.

xo,
your sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home